Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yes, You Can(ter)!

Dragged the Spouse up to the barn to meet the dreaded Gavin today. There they were - face to face - my tall, dark Germans.
The most notable difference being that there is no real evidence to support that Mark's bloodlines should be preserved for future generations to enjoy.

The photo above clearly shows Mark's prowess as a horse whisperer.

The girl who sweeps the barn suggested that instead of calling Gavin "a grouch" that we come up with an anagram for his name. Grouchy And Very Irritable Naturally is what we came up with. Note yet another similarity between my horse and my husband. I am beginning to sense a pattern here....

Had a good, short lesson with Deb. I am slowly but surely getting a feel for this horse, but will admit that there is a whole lot of horse going on there, and while I am not afraid of him, I am cautiously respectful.

It was a really nice, almost spring day and we hit the sand ring, which was magnifient as the property is surrounded by rolling hills in every direction - a very nice view from atop Gavin's perch.

Ive decided to stick to walk/trot action until Susan gets home, but, being a lovely spring day and all, Gavin made the executive decision to take himself for a canter.

My initial reaction was to put on the brakes, but I decided to just go with it and get it over with. The good news is that a "planned canter" would have caused me to overthing things beforehand, so this was a good way to be easy going about it despite myself.

We did a few circles and it was nice; very rhythmic, and very powerful. This horse covers a LOT of ground - he has a nice inner propulsion that makes his movement seem effortless, minus, of course, the rider flapping about curisng herself for neglecting to shorten her reins. If anything will cure me of my 'loose fingers' it's this fucker.


Had so much fun today, I think I'll do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment