Wednesday, April 15, 2009

International Trade - Doing My Part!


Two years ago I scrimped and saved to buy my very own saddle. It made me feel more committed to "sticking to it" to actually acquire something so significant.

It took me months to find it as I scoured every corner of the internet for the best possible deal, and wound up purchasing a lightly used "demo" model from Bahr's Saddlery (also known as The Happiest Place on Earth, unless, of course, you are my husband, who has learned to fear the place); a tack store I have frequented since I was a child.

Naturallly my most prized posession doesnt fit my new horse, so I've been hot on the trail for the past several weeks, trying saddles far beyond my price range in an attempt to find the perfect one.

I fell in love with a used Devoucoux that (thankfully) was too big for my behind. Upon returning it I proudly walked into the store and told the lovely (albeit teenaged) sales girl that I positively loved it, and, if I had a bigger ass, would have taken it.

Not fooled by the likes of me, she offered to sit me in a few more I might be interested in, and trotted out several used models with price tags well over $3000.00 - not pesos, dollars.

Don't get me wrong, I love to spend money on status items as much as the next workaholic, but I honestly cannot for the life of me, imagine how a used saddle (that's right, used, as in other people's asses have sat in it - and worse!) could cost that sort of money. Sure, all the other girls at the barn have them - some even being so brave as to (gasp!) buy them brand new, but I knew I was out of my league.

Christ, my Volvo wagon didn't even cost that much.

Back to the internet I went. I'd seen a nice Antares for sale in the UK a few weeks prior, but figured I could find something similar a little closer to home. Wow, was I ever wrong. Turns out that all the high end saddles are priced approxiately $1000.00 less in Europe than they are in North America.

After numerous emails, and measurements of every inch of mine and Gavin's being, not to mention humming and haw-ing across several time zones, Clare (the woman at the the other end of the email chain) emailed me back to announce that the saddle's measurements were an exact fit for those of my legs, ass and horse.

I bit the bullet and called her with my credit card information.

I then set about the arduous task of trying to co-ordinate a FedEx shipment that would get that sucker to me by the weekend, god willing.

I just hope I can bring myself to actually ride in it.

* If you are reading this, yes, I am in love - but its not what you think. It's best served over scotch and cigarettes, hopefully we can co-ordinate.

2 comments:

  1. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete